CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Do you think animals mourn???

Because I do.

We had "my cat" put down last year at the vets office. You couldn't have told that she was gone by the other 5 cat's behavior.

But NOW - these cats are mopey!

I'm wondering if it makes a difference that our cat died in the house. Maybe in the wee hours of the night on Tuesday, the other cats all gathered around and gave their last respects to the dead cat....hmmmmm....funny visual.

The Coach said that people say that death has a smell. Maybe they smelled death on her? I watched one of the cats smell her the night before and walk away.

Our cats just aren't acting the same. They just seem to be depressed. Poor things.

***********

Now me - I think I must be the worst cat owner ever. Or maybe I should just own up to the fact that the cat that died just wasn't my favorite.

Honestly, she got on my nerves.

She was pushy and needy.

She had really sharp claws in back and liked to use them accidentally. When I was in my last month of pregnancy with Uno, she cut my preggo belly vertically so that it looked like the old-time c-section scars.

She had white fur (calico) and insisted on spreading it everywhere. If there was a dark piece of clothing out, you could lay money on the fact that she would be on it by the time you got back into the room.

She would meow and meow to be fed and then scarf it down.....then puke it back up.

She would poop right outside the litter box.

We always joked that we would like to "kick her off the island" but never had the heart too.

She's jumped ship now...

I'm mean aren't I?

5 comments:

Annikke said...

I think animals do sense the loss. I had a cat years ago that was annoying...she ran away. A neighbor told me she thought she saw a sign on a telephone post that someone had found her...I never called to get her back (I am so mean)

Melissa said...

We had a cat, Sassy (rest in peace), that wasn't all that old and started peeing in weird places. The straw that broke the camel's back was one morning she peed on me! She was also biting the kids. I'm sure it was because she was in pain.
Our other cat, Stanley, mourned for a long time. He still drives me crazy. He tries to sleep on my face. I think he is secretly trying to kill me, because we got rid of his wife....

Aubrey said...

I also think other pets in the home sense the loss. Poor kitties!
I hope the kids are ok when you tell them! Good Luck.

Jen said...

i agree with you, cats can mourn. We used to have two cats and then had to put one down. Charlie (the cat) was in a funk for months. They have to get over losing their friend too.

Adelaine said...

I would say I have to agree with you all. I think they are coming out of it a little. Two of the males were up to their usual banter yesterday. The lone female is hiding out still though....I put money on her being the next to go...